Welcome to our workshop
The Wind Section is pleased to have an association with The Workshop offering a complete range of repair services for all instruments of the Woodwind and Brass families: Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Trumpet, Cornet, Flugel Horn, Trombone, French Horn, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium and Tuba.
From a simple adjustment to a complete overhaul for the professional instrument, The Workshop guarantees workmanship and expediency. All materials have been meticulously sourced to ensure superior results on every repair. Guaranteed estimates will be provided before work is started. Please do not hesitate to contact us or drop in if you have any queries.
Get in touch today 0131 558 8600 and ask for The Workshop, Jonathan or Ruth
Graduated from the prestigious Newark College in 1990. Following various repair posts in England, Jonathan moved to Scotland in 1995 where he ran the workshop for Kirkpatrick’s Musical Instrument Repairs. In 2000 Jonathan brought his skills to Edinburgh and has since, built an enviable reputation with many of Scotland’s saxophonists, flute and clarinet players in both jazz and orchestral circles.
Studied saxophone performance at Napier University graduating with a first class BMus (hons) degree in 2005. After a spell of working freelance managing local bands and musicians Ruth joined the team at The Wind Section in 2007. Under Jonathan’s guidance she is already establishing herself as a fine woodwind repair specialist.
Instrument Service – flute, clarinet, saxophone, oboe & bassoon
To ensure your instrument plays to its full potential, we recommend that you have it serviced annually. A service involves the following procedures:
- Dismantling all key-work.
- Cleaning throughout, showing particular attention to posts, springs, tone holes and tenon joints.
- All key-work is inspected and any worn pads or cork are replaced (maximum 4/5 pads).
- Tenon corks are inspected and repaired as necessary.
- Key-work is aligned, fitted and lubricated.
- Each individual pad is leveled and seated.
- Instrument is regulated and tested for air leaks.
- Instrument is tested by an experienced player prior to dispatch.
- Instrument overhaul –flute, clarinet, saxophone, oboe & bassoon.
On inspecting your instrument, we can give advice on whether it simply requires some general maintenance or a complete overhaul.
An overhaul involves the following procedures:
- Complete disassembly and professional cleaning
- minor dent work and soldering (as necessary)
- key-work is aligned, fitted, and lubricated
- tone holes are leveled and re-faced
- key cups are leveled
- springs are replaced when necessary and spring tension is adjusted
- joints and tenons are precision-fitted
- all pads, corks, and felts are replaced using premium materials
- Instrument is regulated and adjusted to the player’s preference
- Instrument is play tested by an experienced player
|Instrument||Service £||Overhaul £|
|Flute – Professional||100||240|
|Bass Clarinet to low C||180||375|
|Oboe – Student||85||195|
|Oboe – Semi/pro||160||325|
- Re-corking of tenons
- Key adjustments
- Dent removal on a saxophone or flute
- Twisted key mechanism or bell assembly on a saxophone
- Broken neck screw etc, etc.
We have a minimum charge of £15.00
When you bring your instrument into the Brass shop you have the opportunity to speak directly to the technician who will repair your instrument –repair estimates are free. We do everything from minor repairs to major overhauls including plating and lacquering.
Professional instruments are given special attention and professional replacement materials. All Brass instruments should be serviced once a year to maintain playability and as a preventive maintenance. Brass instruments should also require cleaning and lubrication to prevent corrosion within the tubes. A Sample of Brass servicing includes the following procedures:
- Complete disassembly & wash throughout.
- Replacing all corks, felts and realignment of valves or rotors
- Polish inner tuning slides to allow a smooth action.
- All type of dent removal – price on application<
- Repair of any dry solder joints
- Straightening of any twisted stays or valve slides
- Instrument tested by an experienced player
- A Guide To Pricing
|Instrument||Service starting from £|
|Single French Horn||75|
|French Horn double||90|
|Euphonium 4v Comp||75|
All other repairs are charged at an hourly rate of £40 plus materials:
A sample of these services are as follows:
- Patching of worn brass
- Valve repair
- Silver soldering
- Install water-key assembly
- Supply & fit ducks foot to French horns
- Shortening & lengthening of tubing for intonation
- Install custom parts such as replacement lead-pipes